Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nobody Else Will Because I'm the Beast

Sunday was my last day as the children's chorister at my church. It was a hard position for me to fill. I can't sing, play an instrument, or even read music. I've never taken music lessons or been in choir. But, I like kids. They are horrendously entertaining. Hopefully my love for them helped balance out my lack of musical skill.

So, as I was saying Sunday was my last day and I was all emotional. (Just thinking about their crazy voices singing about our Savior gets me all choked up.) At the end of singing time I bore my testimony and told them goodbye. I was very sad.

Later that day I was blessed with little visitors, notes, etc. It cheered me immensely as did a card I received the next day. It read, in part: "I will miss you as our primary choruster. Even if nobody else does."

It reminded me of another note I received. This one was in my yearbook, written by one of my 8th graders, the last year I taught public school. It said, "Miss Evens, I will miss you. You are the beast."

Yes. I am the beast.
(Maybe that is why nobody else will miss me.)

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't being fake I loved the kids and their kooky singing... I HATE HATE HATED leading the music.

    ReplyDelete