Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'm Just Working Here Until I Finish My Degree

So, there was this time I was teaching at a junior high and some boys in my class were having one of those conversations where you know they can't be talking about anything good. You know the kind...lots of whispers...laughing... standing close together...looking around to see if anyone is listening.

Class hadn't started yet and I'll admit I just love finding out what junior high kids think is super secret, super interesting, super funny information even though it is usually based on who farted last period or who totally likes who. So I call them all over and tell them to spill it. Usually that is all it takes and I have a ridiculous story about so and so messing with his English teacher. But, this time no one was talking. And then class started.

We were going through our usual routine and I can see these boys continuing to make eye contact and laughing and then one of them whispers to another, "Ask her!" Ok, so the super interesting junior high info is about me. So I'm trying to think of what I've done recently that a 13 year old would find embarrassing....nothing comes to mind. So I stop what we're doing and sit on my table where I go when we have class discussions.

"Alright Ted (not his real name), go ahead, ask me."
"No way!" (Giggles from the other boys)
"C'mon Ted."
From the other boys "Do it! Just do it!" and more laughter.

At this point I thought I knew what it was. I really thought that somehow they had discovered that I set the science teacher up on a date with my sister in law and that their date was a disaster. This was a subject they could ask me about, we'd all laugh super hard and then it would be back to the lesson in T minus two minutes. Boy, was I wrong.

"C'mon Ted"
Reluctantly, "Ok, Do you know that place called Hooters?"
Realizing I'm in trouble, "Um, yes. Why do you know that place?"
"My dad goes there."
"That's nice."
"He says that's where he knows you from because you used to work there."

Dead silence....

Now let me say that this is the only situation where this conversation could have taken place. The kids are old enough to know what Hooters is but young enough not to put together the fact that I'm massively under qualified for the job.

"Well, Ted. I did used to be a waitress but it wasn't at Hooters. And, like I told your dad I really don't think we've met before. Thanks for asking though. Does anyone else have any questions?"

No one had any more questions.

However, the boys chose to believe Ted's dad rather than me and the "fact" that Mrs. Evans used to work at Hooters was a hot topic for a week or two. Even on my last day at work the teachers gave me a package of two pink Hostess snowballs to take with me in case times got tough and I needed help getting my old job back.

Unfortunately, times have gotten tough...now where did I put those snowballs?

2 comments:

  1. HAH! I can't believe I've never heard that story before! What a bunch of pervs they were up at Timberline! Our students at Mountain Ridge were so much more civilized . . .

    ReplyDelete