Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Haven't Done This Since 8th Grade...

Tonight I did something that I haven't done since 8th grade. What could it be---the Roger Rabbit? Make out underneath the bleachers? Play Rad Racer? Peg my pants? No, no, and no. Although, I did play Rad Racer the other day at my parents and I enjoyed it. But that wasn't it---I ran a mile. Just one single solitary mile.

I know what your thinking and the answer is yes and yes. Yes, I really haven't run a mile since P.E. in 8th grade. Seriously. Runnings not my thing. And because I didn't take P.E. in high school or college, which eliminated the only reason I would have been found running, it's been that long. And yes, while it is true I've run around the block looking for a speeding bike child, there is no way I've run 1 whole, complete mile since the 8th grade.

So why did I do it? Pride. Insanity. My husband and brother just finished a marathon and want to enter more races. Not wanting to be left out and to show my superior toughness I signed up with them. However, before I can prove my mad running skills I need to develop them.

I'm not ashamed to admit that it took me 12 minutes and 25 seconds to run my first mile. And I figure that's not bad for almost two decades of unlimited shuffle, swagger, and cross-legged immobility.

For the record I did better on my second mile and for the record I will continue to do better. From now on it's me and the tread mill. So watch out boys because at the next race it will be "Liz, Liz baby. Dun Dun Dun Da Da Dun Dun"

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking that 12 minutes sounded pretty darn good for not having ran a mile in that long. You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete