Friday, September 11, 2009

Thank You Crazy Eyes

I was having an exceptionally bad day. And what do you do when times get tough? You head to the gas station for an extra large Dr. Pepper of course.

It was the night crew and so they don't know me. (Not like the day crew that knows me all too well and even gave me gifts when I had Grace.) Anyway, even though I don't know these people one of the workers has some interesting features and I've seen him working there quite a few times. Oh and then there's his name...in my evil brain I've named him "crazy eyes".

So I get my drink and get in line to pay. I get up to pay and I'm at a disgruntled employees register. She rings me up and before I can pay Crazy Eyes steps over and clears the register. "It's on me, " he says.

"You can't do that!" she says.

"It's on me," he says. And with that he pulls a handful of change from his raggedy old pants pocket and buys my drink.

"You're crazy," she says.

Like and idiot I just stand there.

"Now go on, and have a good day," he says and jerks his head toward the door motioning for me to leave.

Eloquently I say "Um, thanks" and head to the van bus where I cry and cry. Something so small seemed so generous and changed my entire outlook on the day. That small, unsolicited act of service at the gas station buoyed me up and I was ready to once again get to work and to well, "have a good day".

So, thank you Crazy Eyes for showing kindness to a stranger, for making my day, for buying my soda.

1 comment: