Thursday, February 10, 2011

Bix, Vin, and Tam

So Simon is bringing home his take home reading books. We read one incredibly mind numbing book every night and then return it the next day only to have it replaced by something else even more hideous than the first.

Who writes this crap?

Recently the characters in these masterpieces have had names that aren't even words...my personal favorites are Tam, Bix, and Vin. (Apparently the authors of these books haven't visited a suburb here in these United States...if so the characters may have had names like Sam, Tom, Tim, Ben, Jen, Dan, etc...)

Is it too much to ask for my kid to learn to read something where he may actually use the words he's learning to read?

Oh well, I suppose Tam's bird watching adventure was more exciting than tonight's selection where the exact same sentence was repeated on every page. By page 5 Simon lets out a giant sigh and says, "I know, I KNOW!!! How many times do they have to tell me that worker bees help their families?!?"

7 times Simon. 7 times. At least that is how many pages were in your book.

3 comments:

  1. I totally hear you on that one! Some of the books they bring home, oiy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a homestarrunner email:

    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail84.html

    (yeah, I've written a childrens book, who hasn't, I mean, they can barely read as it is.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just read that book, and I was actually thankful for the repetitiveness because then there is less work for me in helping Blake actually read the book. The books do get better by about 2nd and 3rd grade (but most kids don't really appreciate their non-fictionness by then).

    ReplyDelete