Thursday, March 5, 2009

Again with the Fabric Stores

When will I get the fact that Simon and fabric stores just don't mix!

Saturday I stopped in at a fabric store (luckily not the one from our previous adventures) to check out a sale. I found a few items and began waiting in a long line to be checked out by a clerk that was painfully slow and somewhat confused.

Luckily for me the store had a small play area in the middle where Simon could build blocks while I waited. It is fenced off so Simon can't get in or out of it by himself and was just on the other side of a stack of fabric so he was close, safe and contained. I thought I was in the clear. I thought wrong.

Right as the cashier finally began to ring up my purchases Simon (who can't see me but knows I'm close) starts yelling "OH, Mom, Hey Mom! I have to POO!" Everyone in the store starts looking around to see who's kid this is. I stay quiet and hope he'll just be patient for a minute.

Then he starts again, "Mom! I HAFTA POO! THis is a problem! I can't get out of here!" I have to respond. So now I"m yelling, "Simon I'm almost done. It is my turn to pay. I"ll get you in just one minute." To which he responds, "I think that's not a good idea. I think that's a bad idea. I have to poo!"

The store, full of women, most of them in pairs, are now doing one of two things. Either giggling or giving each other the look. (You know that look---like why was this person allowed to breed look).

Eliza who can her Simon's voice thinks its their wicked fun yelling game and begins to holler now as well. And the girl who is helping me is recounting the 8 fat quarters I'm trying to buy for the third time!

I thought I was going to loose my mind. Simon is still talking...but now he's saying things like "It's ok. You can do it." And I hope he's just giving himself some positive reinforcement. Unfortunately, it was a pep talk while he scaled the fence which he came crashing over about 5 seconds later.

Here he comes around the corner mad as a hornet. In his most exasperated voice and with both hands up in the air he says, "MOM I SAID I HAVE TO POO!" Fortunately it was at this time the clerk finally figured out how to use a debit card for payment and within a minute we were out of there. But not before we had become the fabric store side show. When will I ever learn?

1 comment:

  1. At least he didn't just poo right there in the play place, I guess. Simon is a riot!

    ReplyDelete