Thursday, March 12, 2009

Hello My Name Is...

So I teach community art classes on Saturday mornings. It's a lot of fun and the kids are interesting. Some months I may have up to 30 students while other months I may have as few as 10. I have regulars whose names I know but for the most part I need the students to wear name tags so that I can identify them.

The city advertises my classes as "Drawing with Liz". A name I wouldn't have chosen and quite frankly embarrasses me....but that is a conversation for another blog entry....the point is I wear a name tag every week so that the parents know who Liz is when they arrive.

After a recent class I stopped off at the local gas station to grab a drink. While there I was approached by a group of guys ranging in age from a teenager to a guy in his 40's. I didn't know them from Adam! But they called me by name and were super friendly. They obviously knew me but because I couldn't place where I knew them from I made a hasty retreat to my car.

While searching the files of my brain (did I know them from the ward of my youth? my new ward? did I teach one of their children or siblings?) I began to pull out of the parking stall. It was then that I simultaneously noticed and realized something.
#1. The dudes inside were laughing their heads off.
#2. I was still wearing my name tag.
#3. I really didn't know them from Adam.
#4. I'm an idiot.

2 comments:

  1. So funny! I'm lauging just thinking about it. You should publish your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do that all the time after those stupid district special ed. meetings we would have twice a year. Then again, nobody ever pretended to know me or tried to talk to me. I think I look mean.

    ReplyDelete