Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Red Hair

So, Hannah is in beauty school and I made her practice on me Sunday. I was nervous getting my hair colored and for good reason---I've had a history of really bad colors. Like there was this one time I was in St. George with my family over spring break. I was pregnant and feeling ugly so one night we ran to Target and got some dye. Red dye. I envisioned Anne of Green Gables but came out like Annie and Ronald McDonald's love child.

Oh, and did I mention I was pregnant at the time? Well, if I didn't, I was. And I was still teaching school and the Monday I returned in all my glory I had IEP's scheduled with parents all day.

The principal must have been so proud, right? Not as proud as he was about to be. I wore a blue maternity suit to the meetings. (Try looking professional when you're pregnant.) The complimentary shade of blue really set off the hue of my hair. I was stunning.

The meetings began at 8:00, one right after another, every 30 minutes with no break. The meetings included parents, one of my teacher friends who happened to be a man, the vice principal (also a man), and me. The councilor (a woman) was supposed to be in attendance but couldn't make it until after lunch.

After lunch in comes the councilor. The first thing she tells me is to button up...I look down only to find my bra staring back at me. My shirt's top button was done up but the next two were WIDE OPEN. So I ask to my two men friends how long I've looked like this. The answer: since I came to work! Then they start in with these stupid explanations about not knowing how to tell me so they just waited until a "lady" came...sexual harassment...blah blah blah...didn't want me to kill them..yadda yadda yadda....Nice.

I'm sure the parents I met with that day felt confident about the education their children were receiving. Anyways, back to Sunday, Hannah colored my hair. She even put in red highlights. It looks good.

SO my hair looks nice, I'm not pregnant, and my shirt is buttoned up. Too bad I didn't have those IEP's today.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe that's why all of the janitors were hitting on you (oh, and parents, too).

    ReplyDelete